Ramah Bike Ride 2013 Itinerary
April 23-30, 2013
Day 1: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 B’ruchim Haba’im!
Arrival and Transfer to Jerusalem
- Welcome to Israel! Upon your arrival our staff will meet you at the airport and provide transfer to our Jerusalem hotel. We will devote the afternoon to assembling your bikes and fitting rental bikes to participants. After an opening dinner, we will give a general briefing about the tour and the services provided.
- Overnight: Crowne Plaza, Jerusalem
Day 2: Wednesday, April 24, 2013
Biking Day 1: Jerusalem to Ashkelon
- Overview: After transferring out of Jerusalem, we will leave for the ride after a short opening ceremony at Bar Giora, west of Jerusalem. All groups end at the beach town of Ashkelon, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea.
- Shoafim Distance: 45.3 km (28.1 mi); Elevation Gain: 286 m (938 ft)
- Bogrim Distance: 97 km (60.3 mi); Elevation Gain: 377 m (1,236.9 ft)
- Mumchim Distance: 115.6 km (71.8 mi); Elevation Gain: 829 m (2,719.8 ft)
- Overnight: Holiday Inn, Ashkelon
Day 3: Thursday, April 25, 2013
Biking Day 2: Ashkelon to Mashabe Sade
- Overview: Today’s ride will take us from the coastal region into the heart of the Negev Desert. All groups will meet at Sderot and end their ride at Mashabe Sade Kibbutz hotel.
- Shoafim Distance: 46.15 km (28.7 mi); Elevation Gain: 169 m (554.5 ft)
- *Bogrim Distance: 119.2 km (74.1 mi); Elevation Gain: 582 m (1,909.5 ft)
- Mumchim Distance: 159.1 km (98.9 mi); Elevation Gain: 688 m (2,257.2 ft)
- Overnight: Mashabe Sade Kibbutz Hotel
*For Bogrim: take off approx. 18 miles if you choose to transfer by bus from Ashkelon to Sderot.
Day 4: Friday, April 26, 2013
Biking Day 3: Mashabe Sade to Mitzpe Ramon
- Overview: Today’s ride will take us deeper into the Negev desert and will end at the town of Mitzpe Ramon, overlooking the Ramon Crater. This ride includes an optional mountain biking trail for Shoafim and Bogrim (mountain bikes provided by Ramah). In Mitzpe Ramon we will have time to prepare for Shabbat services and dinner.
- *Shoafim Distance: 23.77 km (14.8 mi); Elevation Gain: 237 m (777.6 ft)
- `Bogrim Distance: 63.91 km (39.7 mi); Elevation Gain: 726 m (2,381.9 ft)
- Mumchim Distance: 128.5 km (79.8 mi); Elevation Gain: 1,557 m (5,108 ft)
- Overnight: Ramon Inn, Mitzpe Ramon
*Add approx. 10 miles to route distance for those who opt into mountain biking trail. `Subtract approx. 25 miles for those not riding to Mitzpe Ramon.
Day 5: Saturday, April 27, 2013
Shabbat and Lag BaOmer
- No cycling today for all groups. We will daven together, Ramah style, and celebrate Shabbat as a community. You will be free to walk along the cliff above the Ramon Crater or just relax at the hotel, even book a massage! After Havdalah, we will set out for a traditional Lag BaOmer bonfire!
- Overnight: Ramon Inn, Mitzpe Ramon
Day 6: Sunday, April 28, 2013
Biking Day 4: Mitzpe Ramon to Kibbutz Ketura
- Overview: The ride will go from the high desert plain above the Ramon Crater and end at Ketura in the Arava region.
- Shoafim Distance: 54.12 km (33.6 mi); Elevation Gain: 302 m (990.9 ft)
- Bogrim Distance: 102.31 km (63.6 mi); Elevation Gain: 586 m (1,922.6 ft)
- Mumchim Distance: 128.91 km (80.1 mi); Elevation Gain: 615 m (2,017.7 ft)
- Overnight: Ketura Kibbutz Hotel
Day 7: Monday, April 29, 2013
Biking Day 5: Ride to Eilat
- Overview: We will bike through the red rock mountains around Eilat and end at the shore of the Red Sea where we will meet for a toast. After freshening up at the hotel, we will celebrate all we have accomplished at a closing banquet.
- Shoafim Distance: 57.29 km (35.6 mi); Elevation Gain: 472 m (1,548.6 ft)
- Bogrim Distance: 73.32 km (45.6 mi); Elevation Gain: 550 m (1,804.5 ft)
- Mumchim Distance: 104.05 km (64.7 mi); Elevation Gain: 954 m (3,129 ft)
- Overnight: Prima Music Hotel, Eilat
Day 8: Tuesday, April 30, 2013
Departure / Optional Add-On
- After disassembling bikes, they will be transferred to Ben Gurion Airport or to Jerusalem. After enjoying a morning at the beach we will board the bus and drive north, making stops at the airport and in Jerusalem. Farewell and safe travels!
- For those interested in extending their stay, we are planning an overnight trip to Petra, Jordan. More details to follow.
- Make sure to leave ample time for check-in, especially if you are checking-in a bicycle.
- All flights should arrive in Israel by 9:00 am on Tuesday, April 23, and depart no earlier than 10:00pm on Tuesday, April 30.
- Breakfast is provided daily at each hotel. Lunches and dinners are as indicated each day.
- Riding days will include snacks and lunch provided at pre-arranged rest stops during the day.
- On any day, riders can choose one of three riding options: SHOAFIM, BOGRIM, and MUMCHIM. Shoafim (from the Hebrew for aspiration) will experience both cycling and bus transfers, during which they will tour the riding areas with an experienced Ramah guide. Shoafim will cover approximately 225 km (140 mi) of cycling over the five days. Most days, they will ride in the morning, and after lunch travel by bus with a dedicated tour guide to explore the cultural and historical sites in Israel which are near our route. Bogrim (from the Hebrew word for mature) will ride a full day covering approximately 455 km (280 mi) over the five days. Mumchim (from the Hebrew for expert) will ride a full day with additional mileage for the added challenge, covering approximately 660 km (410 mi).